Nutrition is the heart of a healthy life.
The foods we eat are the foundation of our health. Good food choices can ward off chronic diseases and obesity, and improve the life of both adults and children.
Start your journey to better nutrition today.
|Where to Start||Resources||Special Conditions||Parents & Kids||Contact|
Everything you eat and drink over time matters.
Find your healthy eating style and maintain it for a lifetime. Focus on these choices:
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables. Focus on whole fruits rather than juices. Eat a variety of vegetables in all colors. Try these recipes »
- Choose whole grains. Look for "100% Whole Grain" or "100% Whole Wheat" on package labels. Foods like oatmeal, whole grain pearled barley, buckwheat and brown rice are all excellent whole grain choices.
- Choose fish and poultry over red meat.
- Move to low-fat and fat-free milk or yogurt.
- Choose baked over fried, and eat sweets and desserts sparingly.
- Drink and eat less saturated fat, salt (sodium), and added sugars.
- Check out the DASH Diet for a proven eating plan for general health and weight control.
- The Mediterranean Diet emphasizes some of the same healthful eating approaches and is a good choice for lifelong healthy eating.
Where To Start
How to Lose and Manage Weight
A complete set of broad resources, including:
- Guides to Good Nutrition
- Menu Planning and Recipes
- Professionals and Teachers