100 Congregations for Million Hearts® is a faith-based program designed to help guide congregations toward a heart-healthy lifestyle. We want to enlist the support of faith-based organizations to help prevent cardiovascular disease and control hypertension .
By joining the program, your congregation will work toward reducing the impact of the two leading causes of death in the United States: heart disease and stroke.
Why should we join?
- Heart disease and stroke are the first and fourth leading causes of death in the United States.
- Heart disease is responsible for 1 of every 4 deaths in the country.
- It has been proven that communities working together using education and support can reduce deaths caused by heart disease and stroke.
What is the goal?
Mississippi’s goal is to recruit 100 faith-based organizations into the national Million Hearts initiative.
The national campaign’s goal is to prevent 1 million heart attacks and strokes by 2017.
How do we join?
First, you will need to select a member of your congregation as your Million Hearts advocate. This individual will serve as a resource for heart health information.
Second, each congregation is being asked to do at least two of the four activities listed below.
- Establish and/or strengthen relationships with local experts and resources (community pharmacists, community health centers, and community health workers).
- Disseminate messages about the importance of hypertension control and actions that can be taken.
- Promote Heart Health Mobile (an app that helps determine your heart attack and stroke risk and take steps to reduce it).
- Distribute blood pressure tracking wallet cards.
Ready to get started?
Take a moment to fill out our Million Hearts® signup form.