Medical First Responder Certification
- Any person desiring certification as a Medical First Responder shall apply to the BEMS using forms provided (Application for State Certification).
- All certification applications must be accompanied by a ten dollar ($10.00) money order or business check payable to the Mississippi State Department of Health - BEMS, a copy of the applicants current National Registry card, BEMS may withhold or deny the application for certification for a like period of time equal to the like period of time under which a person failed to comply. Mississippi requires that all Medical First Responders maintain current registration with the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians.
Prerequisites to certification as a Medical First Responder (training obtained in Mississippi)
- Age of at least 18 years.
- Completion of the Board's approved Medical First Responder Training Program (Note: This includes passage of the National Registry examination).
- National Registry as a First Responder.
Prerequisites to certification as a Medical First Responder (training obtained in another state)
- Age of at least 18 years.
- Completion of a Medical First Responder program which meets the guidelines of the First Responder National Standard Curriculum. Provide written verification from the State of training and of current status.
- Completion of a State-approved Medical First Responder skills course which must include automatic external defibrillation and the required sections of the DOT EMT-Basic module for oxygen therapy. (or equivalent, with MSDH, BEMS approved terminal competencies).
- Applicant must be registered as a First Responder by the National Registry of EMTs. This is documented by submitting a copy of the National Registry wallet card.
NOTE: The Mississippi BEMS maintains the right to refuse reciprocity to any Nationally Registered Medical First Responder if the submitted curriculum does not meet the guidelines of the national standard curriculum and those required by the State of Mississippi.
Recertification of Medical First Responders
- Any person desiring re-certification as a Medical First Responder shall apply to BEMS using forms provided (Application for state certification).
- All re-certification applications must be accompanied by ten dollar ($10.00) money order or business check payable to the Mississippi State Department of Health BEMS. Also include a copy of the applicants current National Registry card.
- All Medical First Responders failing to re-certify with BEMS on or before the expiration date of his/her certification period will be considered officially expired.
- BEMS may withhold or deny an application for re-certification for a like period of time equal to the like period of time under which a person fails to comply.
- A Medical First Responder certificate issued shall be valid for a period not exceeding two and one-half (2 ½ ) years from date of issuance and may be renewed upon payment of a renewal fee of ten dollars ($10.00), which shall be paid to the Board, provided that the holder meets the qualifications set forth in regulations promulgated by the Board.
- The Board may suspend or revoke a certificate so issued at any time it is determined that the holder no longer meets the prescribed qualifications.